Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

On Saturday, I made my way along with most of GW to the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear to join the 200,000 people on the Mall waiting for a glimpse of Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert. But, probably unlike most of the university, I was left rather disappointed.

Perhaps it was because I was pressed between thousands of people, all who were taller than me, and some who were so intoxicated that they found more enjoyment in screaming and picking fights with the people around them than actually listening.

Or maybe it was because I did not care for most of the artists who sang nor did I recognize any of the songs they performed. Of course, I understand that my cultural background, and the music I listen to has a major part to do with it, but looking at solely Stewart and Colbert, I can honestly say that the rally definitely did not meet my expectations.

Sure, I had a few chuckles here and there, and I did thoroughly enjoy Colbert's little poem and, of course, Stewart made a few classic remarks, but overall, the rally was not as humorous nor as impacting as I expected it to be.

Do not get me wrong, I absolutely adore The Daily Show and I enjoy the Colbert Report, so it does not have anything to do with not being a fan, or simply not understanding that humor. It is just that I found that the remarks and jokes of the rally were definitely not up to par.

I would have to say that the only part of the rally that I believe was worth it, was Stewart's ending speech, in which he finally addressed the purpose of the rally. He spoke true, and spoke of things that have long needed to be mentioned, and to be emphasized.

It's a shame that I had left before it and, as a result, had to watch it online.

- Tamara El Waylly

No comments:

Post a Comment