Monday, November 29, 2010

Concert Etiquette

By Claudia Powell

To me, attending a concert is the perfect weekend activity. The combination of live music and the diverse crowd is the epitome if a good time… that is, unless the few people around you out of this wonderfully diverse crowd happen to be absolute abominations as concert-goers. Attending a concert is a personal experience, as the music is open to interpretation by each and every attendee. I accept that, and actually quite enjoy the anonymity of standing in such a crowd. However, there are certain things you just don’t do. Here are a couple suggestions for anyone who is concerned that their concert etiquette is not up to speed:

1. Get there early if you want to be in the front.

Last week, I attended a Wiz Khalifa concert at 9:30 club that sold out… twice. People were so excited about the show that they got there extremely early to line up for entry, which would directly impact where in the venue they’d be standing. You get there early, you have first pick at the front row. Get there right when the show’s starting and you’re probably out of luck if you were hoping to be close to the stage.

So, being the fan that I am, I got there early and stood outside in the freezing cold in line so that I could stand towards the front. The classic tactic worked – I was in the second row. As people filed in for the hour before the show, the venue was quickly packed... so packed that I couldn’t move my feet so much as to turn around (not to mention I’d find myself literally face-to-face with another fan). As the show began, the crowd packed in even tighter as each fan envisioned himself being chosen to jam on stage with the performer (Ok, maybe that was just me). Still, it was tight.

All of a sudden, I find that my back is being consistently pushed forwards, lurching me into the 6’5” super-fan in front of me. Several girls who had clearly arrived late were trying to push their way to the front. Not being one to initiate a fight, I simply planted my feet firmly into the ground and turned my attention back to the show. Much to my chagrin, these girls were relentless. Her intent to push in front of me didn’t confuse me in that I knew why she’d want to be in the front row, but… really? Don’t you think if I got there early enough or had found a spot in the front two rows that I might be a fan, and perhaps might like to stand where I am?

Her rude and thoughtless concert tact got her nowhere; my friend and I stayed planted, and she ended up squeezed between several other people in an uncomfortable mini “mosh pit” that I was glad not to be a part of. She learned the lesson the hard way, and will probably think twice before pushing her way to the front without paying her dues next time.

2. Concerts are a nice date idea… but show a little self-control!

Enjoying live music together is a lovely idea for a date, particularly if you’re in an awkward beginning stage and don’t have much to say to each other (though that may be a sign to GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!). My experience at several concerts I’ve attended over the past several months, though, has involved much more “advanced” couples. As in, they stand directly in front of you in the extremely packed venue and proceed to dance raunchily, kiss sloppily, and all around repulse the other attendees around them. My experience at a Ratatat concert at 9:30 club left me feeling like I was practically part of the couple standing in front of me. Their over-the-top expressions of love were distracting and, quite frankly, a little sickening. I understand that you two just looooove this band and cannnnnn’t help yourselves, but come on… a little courtesy, please. Can’t you find a secluded corner to enjoy each other’s company? Perhaps you could send each other suggestive glances and hold off on your overly-sexualized dance moves until after show time? We’re at Ratatat, guys, not Marvin Gaye.



The list of minor concert manners could truly go on and on. For now, I’ll leave you with these two suggestions to help guide your next live music experience such that you both enjoy yourself and do not impede on the experience of your fellow fans. Music provokes different things in different people, and I respect that… but if you violate these essential and oft unspoken concert rules, I can’t promise I wont “accidentally” step on your foot as I jam in my appropriately acquired front row spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment