Monday, November 29, 2010

Favorite Holiday

This holiday weekend I went home with practically empty luggage. The reason? Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday; not because of my moms salivating dinner (her stuffin' muffins are to die for- perfect size which crisp edges all around), or pretending like I love sports (even though I always actually get into the games) to avoid doing dishes, or just enjoying just being with my family...IT'S THE SHOPPING.

Granted, I am not one of those crazy people camping out; no sale is big enough to get me out of bed that early. But, shopping is my fort-ay. So Friday afternoon my mom and I decided to venture into the jungle of ravaged shoppers. The mall in my town is prime shopping: department, clothing, shoes, electronics, makeup and more. However, it took us 45 minutes to find a parking space. Now, my mom is from Brooklyn (meaning she is an aggressive driver) so the fact that she couldn't weasel her way into a spot in five seconds (like usual) already put a damper on my favorite holiday.

Once we navigated ourselves into the mall, I was extremely disappointed. When I walk into a store my eyes usually start to glisten, I narrow in on the walls of hanging garments, and ignore the shoppers around me. But this time, clothing was strewn everywhere, people were definitely not in the holiday spirit anymore and I just didn't see my usual "steals of the season."

My mom and I each left empty handed and our heads low. Although I didn't go home with bags of clothing, I came back with bags filled with love (aka my mom's stuffin' muffins). I questioned whether waking up at the crack of dawn would be worth it next year...but there is always cyber mondays!!

Elyssa Nemetsky

No comments:

Post a Comment