Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

The period between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day is my favorite time of the year. Despite having finals during the first few weeks of December, this time of year always makes me happy. I don't understand how people can have Seasonal Affective Disorder when they look around and see bright, sparkling, colorful Christmas lights and hear beautiful, cheery Christmas music on the radio. I am Jewish, but to me, Christmas has come to symbolize an American tradition, in addition to being a religious holiday. A few times a week, I enjoy a Starbucks Gingerbread Latte or Peppermint Hot Chocolate. I listen to the Christmas Pandora radio station almost daily. My friends and I tune into the various Christmas-themed movies that ABC Family plays throughout the month of December. We make gingerbread houses and munch on Trader Joe's peppermint-flavored Oreo's. When I return home for winter break, my mother and I will continue our annual tradition of rating our neighborhood's Christmas decorations. I have always preferred rainbow lights, while my mom prefers white lights. Both of us dislike it when people mix too many different colored lights. My favorite yearly tradition with my mother is our late-night shopping ritual. During this time, the nearby stores and malls are open until midnight and have incredible sales. A few nights a week, my mom and I go on mini shopping sprees, and usually stay out until the stores close. It is not uncommon that by the time we come home, my father is already sleeping, which is a good thing since he can't ask to see our receipts!

To me, the holiday season is a time of joy, a time when Americans and people all over the world take the time to give. Each year, my family and many others in my New Jersey hometown donate toys to Toys for Tots, give money to the Santas from Salvation Army and volunteer to gift-wrap in our local mall for charity. People spend days, weeks and sometimes months putting thought into what they are going to give their friends and families for the holidays. Perhaps, my favorite part of this time of year is all of the quality time I get to spend with my family. It's a time when I finally get to see my relatives from New Hampshire and occasionally, Florida. My cousins come in from New York and we all gather around the table and eat like pigs on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's Eve and on random days in between. We stuff our faces (sometimes with delicious home-cooked meals, but more often with Chinese or Italian take-out) reminisce and laugh, laugh and laugh.

In addition to the beautiful decorations, fun snow activities and delicious winter food and drinks, I love the holidays because I see it as a time of selflessness; a time when people give back on a personal and global scale.

So why does the holiday spirit have to come to an end? While there are plenty of people who continue to donate to charities throughout the entire year, most of the people I know rarely volunteer their time and money after January 1st comes around. All of the seasonal goodies retire for the next 12 months, as well as the amazing savings on clothes, shoes and jewelry. Not only are my favorite holidays over, but I dread the first week of January because it serves as a reminder that it is no longer acceptable for me to eat as many sweet and savory dishes as I desire. I am a subscriber to People Magazine and each year, the first week of January's issue is all about diets and losing weight as a New Year's Resolution. I suppose the next best holiday to look forward to after New Year's is Valentine's Day, but only if you have a Valentine! While I do enjoy spending time on the Jersey Shore over the summer, I would much rather prefer to be cozy by the fireplace, wearing my Snuggie, sipping hot cocoa and watching Christmas movies with friends, while the snow falls peacefully outside.

-Ricki Maybruch

No comments:

Post a Comment