Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I am a little disappointed that our commencement speaker this year is Michael Bloomberg. Sure, he has done numerous positive things for the city of New York as mayor, but I don’t quite see his relevance in Washington D.C.

Last year’s graduates had Michelle Obama deliver their commencement speech. The class of 2009 saw Rahm Emanuel speak at their graduation. Back in 2006, close friends of mine had George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, speak at their GW graduation. All of these people have significant and influential roles in this city. While it may have been difficult for the school to top the First Lady as graduation speaker, I would think with all of the school’s connections in Washington, they would be able to find a speaker with a greater relevance to the city.

With one of the highest tuitions in the nation, GW charges its students more than $50,000 each year. Therefore, affording any commencement speaker of its choice was certainly not a problem in making this year’s decision.

You probably are wondering who I would have liked to see speak at my college graduation. My number one choice would be Hillary Clinton. She is poised, intelligent, powerful and fierce. She has been a strong presence and force in Washington for my entire life. A speech from her husband would not have been too shabby either. Another attainable speaker would be Colin Powell, an alumnus of the university.

Regardless, I look forward to when the media mogul addresses the class of 2011. I’m sure he will do a fine job. I guess I will just have to close my eyes and imagine it’s Ms. Clinton’s voice I hear.

-Ricki Maybruch

No comments:

Post a Comment