Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nickelodeon TV Shows from Your Childhood

Almost every kid I know watched Nick programming as a kid, from Stick Stickley in the afternoons, to Snick and TEENick at night, or even when you stayed home sick from school and you were forced to watch ‘Face’ and shows like Gullah Gullah Island and Little Bear on Nick Jr. in the morning. As a tribute to the TV network I spent the vast majority of time watching growing up, I give you two top-ten lists of what were in my opinion the best shows, animated and non-animated.
Non-Animated and Gameshow List
1. Legends of the Hidden Temple – bar none the coolest show on TV…how bad did you want to do a Temple Run at the final round and get past the Temple Guards with the artifact?
2. All That! – Nick’s best sketch-comdey show that launched spinoffs such as The Amanda Show and Keenan and Kel
3. Guts – Great competition gameshow similar to American Gladiator. Climbing the Aggro Crag must have been bomb.
4. Double Dare – ranked in the top 30 of TV Guide’s all-time best gameshows, this show asked families trivia questions to build up a bank of money and then competed in often sloppy physical challenges
5. The Adventures of Pete And Pete – a show about the humorous and strange interactions of friends, family and enemies, it features two brothers, both named Pete Wrigley and is narrated by the elder “Big Pete”
6. Figure it Out – Fun game show with Nick celebrities trying to guess the contestant’s special talent. The seductive Summer Sanders as host may have something to do with why this show is ranked so high…
7. Salute Your Shorts – a sarcastic show about teens away at summer camp, Camp Anawanna
8. Kenan and Kel – successful spinoff from All That! Who loves orange soda? Kel loves orange soda
9. Are You Afraid of the Dark? – This show scared the **** out of me and gave me nightmares all through my childhood….definitely deserved the TV-Y7 rating.
10. The Secret World of Alex Mack – an underrated show featuring teenage Alex Mack who was exposed to a strange chemical and could morph into a metallic blob and ‘ooze’ her way out of sticky situations
Honorable Mentions: Ahh! Real Monsters, Kablam!, As Told by Ginger,

Animated List
1. Doug – Nick’s first and best ‘Nicktoon.’ I wish Pattie Mayonaise was a real person
2. Rugrats – the most popular Nicktoon ever with over 170 episodes. Tommy Pickles is a baller
3. Hey Arnold --The show that featured the football-headed Arnold was humorous, emotional and intelligent and taught many life lessons while keeping me thoroughly entertained
4. Spongebob Squarepants – Towards the end of our generation’s childhood, but a genious idea for a show that is still wildly popular today
5. Catdog – for a few years this was my favorite show
6. Rocco’s Modern Life – an early classic, this show made subtle comments about societal problems
7. The Wild Thornberry’s – underrated show full of adventures in remote places all over the world
8. Rocket Power – Otto Rocket was hands down the coolest animated kid on TV…and then there was Squid
9. Ren and Stimpy – I wasn’t allowed to watch this when I was very young due to the very graphic nature of the animation, but my mom eventually caved to my nagging and I’m glad she did
10. The Angry Beavers – had a fleeting year or two of competitive popularity, but the show never made it over that plateau and thus it sits at the bottom of this epic list
Honorable Mentions: Wild and Crazy Kids, the Roundhouse, Land of the Lost, Clarissa Explains it All, What Would You Do? Hey Dude

3 comments:

  1. keep forgetting to authorize my blog entries
    -Dan Zuccari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. It is a very thorough and detailed description of the great shows that appeared on Nick during our childhood. However, where is the very early 90's show "Weinervile"? I also rather enjoyed the "Mystery Files of Shelby Woo" not because of the content, but because of the ridiculous facial expression's Shelby's ex-nija grandfather would make. Also, I concur with your statement about Summer Sanders. She was rather seductive. I caught her making eyes with quite a few of the male contestants...

    - Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comment! I took those shows into consideration, however this is my personal list and I never really liked Shelby all that much, but you're probably right, it should have made the bottom of the list at least. Summer is still making eyes and who knows what else with male guests on her show about Olympic athletes

    ReplyDelete